Intramurals hosting family weekend events

General Sports Graphic

Gunnar Boag, Sports Contributor

Golf tournament on Friday, 5k fun run, walk Saturday.

With Spring Family Weekend just around the corner, students are looking for activities to do with their family members. Thankfully, Recreational Sports has created events just for the occasion.

Each year, family and friends can come to Oregon State University and enjoy activities and entertainment all weekend long. The weekend takes place in spring, so the intramural activities work in tandem with the warmer weather.

“I think it’s great that I go to a university that encourages us to do fun things with our family members,” Luke Walter, freshman, said.

Students and their families can see if their golf game is up to par with the Family Golf Tournament on May 4. The event starts at 2 p.m. at Trysting Tree Golf Course. 

Students are also allowed to bring one non-Rec Sports member to the tournament, meaning one family member or friend can be brought along. For $80, the pair gets a golf cart, range balls and an event t-shirt. 

The winners of the tournament, like any intramural event, will be deemed “Intramural Champions.” If you want to take a swing at this tournament, sign up soon! Registration closes on May 1 at 5 p.m.

“I’m happy the weather is getting better so I can go golfing with my mom,” Imogene Davis, junior, said. “We’re fair-weather golfers; it’s perfect for us.”

The other intramural event of the weekend involves a little more cardio. On Saturday, intramurals will be hosting a 5k Fun Run and Walk. Similar to the golf tournament, students can bring one non-Rec Sports partner to the event.

The run and walk will start at 11 a.m. at Avery Park, and students can register online at www.osualum.com/funrun. It is a free event, and everyone is encouraged to come out and participate.

There is no cap for the amount of people that can participate, so get your friends out there too!

This will be the 4th annual Family Weekend Golf Tournament and the 15th annual 5k Fun Run and Walk.

Though the weather has been nicer lately, there is always the possibility of rain. Be prepared for any weather, as the events go on rain or shine.

“Sport programs is excited to offer recreational activities that allows family and friends to participate together this upcoming weekend,” Sam Rodenberg, sport program coordinator, said.