Trial date set for Jordan Pace

Brock Hulse, News Contributor

Former OSU football player accused of rape, trial set for Oct. 15, 2018.

A trial date for Jordan Pace, a current Oregon State University student and former football player, has been set for Oct. 15, 2018. 

Pace was arrested in November 2017 on four charges, including rape. 

A Grand Jury for Benton County indicted Pace on four counts of sexual assault: rape in the first degree, unlawful sexual penetration in the first degree, sodomy in the first degree and sexual abuse in the second degree. All of the offenses were said to have taken place on or around about May 14, 2017 according to court documents. 

Pace had plead not guilty to all of the charges at his arraignment, which took place on Nov. 13, and was released after 10 percent ($5,000) of his bail was paid on the same day as the arraignment. 

The trial date was set at Pace’s most recent hearing in the case on April 19. According to Ryan Joslin, Chief Deputy Attorney for Benton County, the trial is set to take five days beginning on Oct. 15, 2018. 

20-year-old Pace remains a student at OSU. Pace is not allowed to have any form of contact with the alleged victim, in accordance with his bail posting in November. 

OSU has remained silent with any specific comments on Pace’s case since his arrest. 

“We are aware of this matter. OSU does not comment on criminal investigations by local enforcement,” said Steve Clark, OSU’s Vice President for University Relations and Marketing, in November 2017 after Pace’s arrest. 

When a case of violence is reported to the university, university administrators meet to assess the situation, according to Clark.  

“For any matter involving a specific student, and in accordance with federal student confidentiality laws, OSU cannot comment on educational or conduct matters,” Clark said when asked last week if the university has finished conducting its investigation into Pace’s alleged crimes. 

Pace joined the OSU football team as a walk-on defensive lineman in September 2016. Pace moved to running back, but was no longer on the team after the 2017 spring camp. 

The university provided no reason why or exactly when Pace left the football team. 

OSU’s department of Equal Opportunity and Access handles sexual misconduct and discrimination policies and procedures. 

Lauren Sluss contributed to this story.