UPDATED: Former OSU football player, current student charged of rape

Due to FERPA, Title IX, university unable to comment on specific student cases

Former Oregon State University football player and nineteen-year-old OSU student Jordan Pace was arrested in Benton County on Nov. 13 on four charges, including rape. 

An indictment was filed Nov. 7 in the circuit court of the state of Oregon for Benton County. Jordan Pace was charged with four offenses: rape in the first degree, unlawful sexual penetration in the first degree, sodomy in the first degree and sexual abuse in the second degree. All four counts were said to have taken place on or about May 14, 2017 in Benton County. 

Jordan Pace’s bail was imposed at $50,000 and he was released after 10 percent ($5,000) of the bail was paid by Ronald S. Pace on Nov. 13.

Thus far, OSU has remained silent about any specific comments regarding Pace’s case. 

“We are aware of this matter,” said Vice President of University Relations and Marketing Steve Clark said. “OSU does not comment on criminal investigations by local enforcement.” 

According to Clark, a team of university administrators meets to assess the situation when a case of violence is reported. 

“When reported cases of violence and cases of an ongoing risk to the community are reported to OSU’s Department of Public Safety, a team of university administrators, public safety officials and others meet by phone day or night within minutes and immediately assess the report, whether an ongoing threat exists, and, dependent upon that assessment, provide as immediate as possible communication to the campus community,” Clark said. 

OSU’s department of Equal Opportunity and Access handles sexual misconduct and discrimination policies and procedures. 

“The university prohibits sexual misconduct of any kind, including sexual harassment, intimate partner violence, sexual exploitation and stalking. Such misconduct violates university policy and may also violate state or federal law,” the EOA webpage states. “When misconduct occurs, the university will take steps to stop, prevent recurrence and remedy the impacts of such behavior.”

OSU’s Sexual Misconduct and Discrimination policy was revised in Sept. 15, 2017 in compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments 1972, the Violence Against Women Act of 1994, the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act of 2013 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. 

“The university keeps in mind the safety of students, faculty and staff—and the general OSU community—in ever excluding someone from campus or having direct contact with another individual or individuals,” Clark said. 

Due to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act and the due process requirements of Title IX, the university is unable to comment on matters of individual student conduct, according to Clark. 

More information regarding Pace’s case can be found at dailybarometer.com.