Flag won’t disrupt university vision

A confederate flag hangs in the window of The Pillar, a student resource center provided by the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship. 

To the Oregon State community,

On Tuesday night, the university was made aware of a Confederate flag hanging within a window of a room occupied by a tenant living in a privately-owned property not affiliated with Oregon State University.

The flag faces the Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Center on Monroe Avenue.

We are deeply disappointed by this flag’s presence. It has come to serve as a representation of slavery and racism in this country’s history, and it has been used over time to intimidate people of color and other marginalized groups. Its message is contrary to our values as an institution resolutely committed to the advancing equity and inclusivity.

On Wednesday night we celebrated Black Connect, an annual event held at the Lonnie B. Harris Cultural Center to welcome new students and recognize the incredible contributions of African-American and Black students to the Oregon State community. This was a wonderful celebration of community, and a demonstration of the resilience that is the legacy of the underrepresented students at Oregon State. I want to recognize the good work and positive sprit established by the organizers of the Black Connect event.

The presence of the flag reminds us of the work we must continue to engage in to build a welcoming community for all. We understand that diversity and inclusion are fundamental to Institutional Excellence and this will not disrupt our shared vision for the university.

Sincerely,

Charlene Alexander, Ph.D.

Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer