UPDATED: Corvallis Police Department investigates stabbing near campus

Circuit Court Judge Locke A. Williams oversees Benjamin Leland Bucknell’s arraignment. 

The Baro Staff

The Daily Barometer staff will continue to update this story as information comes in.

1:30 p.m.

Benjamin Leland Bucknell was called before Circuit Court Judge Locke A. Williams for an arraignment at 1:30 p.m. Although the state asked for a total bail amount of $3 million, Williams increased the original bail of $525,000 to $1.1 million, and set a new court date for June 6 at 8:30 a.m.

According to OSU Vice President of University Relations and Marketing Steve Clark, Bucknell is a former OSU student, but is not currently. Bucknell attended OSU during the fall 2014, winter and spring 2015 and fall 2016 terms as a pre-forestry student.

Since May 22, Bucknell has been arrested and charged with six counts of attempted murder, three counts of assault in the first degree, two counts of assault in the second degree, resisting arrest, criminal mischief in the second degree, two counts of arson in the first degree, one count of burglary in the first degree and four counts of unlawful use of a weapon.

At the beginning of the arraignment, Bucknell’s application for a court-appointed attorney was approved. He was appointed two attorneys, one being Thomas Hill.

The state asked for a total bail amount of $3 million with no contact with any of the victims and residences. The state also asked for the defendant to have no possession of firearms, to not leave the state and to not possess any substances without a prescription.  

Along with the original charges filed against Bucknell, it was read at the arraignment that on the day of the incident, Bucknell went to home of 5 fellow OSU students and attempted to hide his appearance. He then poured gasoline on two sides of the home. The fire came inside the home and ended up burning the sleeping bag of one of the residents that was in the bag at the time.

After the additional charges were read, Williams increased the original bail amount of $525,000 to $1.1 million, and set a new court date for June 6 at 8:30 a.m.

According to Corvallis city Lieutenant Cord Wood, Corvallis Police Department expects the investigation to be open for two to three weeks. 

11:45 p.m.

According to Nolan Butuso, one of the victims and an Oregon State University student, as well as the Corvallis Gazette-Times (HERE), the suspect has been identified as Benjamin Leland Bucknell. Bucknell was booked in the Benton County Jail Monday afternoon. He is also listed on the OSU Online Directory as a student in pre-forestry.

OSU Vice President of University Relations and Marketing Steve Clark could neither confirm nor deny Bucknell is a student at the university at this time.

Butuso and Jesus Valencia, another victim of the attack, are the only two of five victims that have been identified so far. According to Butuso, Valencia was flown from Good Samaritan Hospital in Corvallis to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland. He has undergone one surgery for four lacerations across his head and two lacerations on his back. Valencia is scheduled for another surgery on his eye.

“I don’t know whether or not he was cut in the eye, but the way he described it to me, he took a really hard elbow in the eye and it caused it to swell up immensely,” Butuso said. “We haven’t gotten any more information on this, but we’re worried that he might lose the eye.”

Samantha Traeger, Butuso’s sister, created a gofundme page (HERE) to help raise funds to pay for the victims’ medical bills, as well as other damages and trauma caused by the incident, according to the gofundme page.

9:49 p.m.

A gofundme page has been started by Nolan Butuso’s, one of the stabbing victim’s sister. The fund will help with medical expenses for all five of the injured in the attack, but will go primarily toward Jesus Valencia, who was flown from Corvallis to Portland for treatment. Valencia remains in the hospital. 

The gofundme page can be found (HERE).

8:00 p.m.

Stabbing victim and Oregon State University student Nolan Butuso was one of the individuals attacked this morning. He was in his home this morning when he and his roommates discovered a small fire burning in their backyard. While going to investigate, they heard screaming from inside the home. After reentering the home, they had an encounter with a man with a knife that left Butuso and several of his roommates injured.

Butuso suffered a gash to the cheek. According to Butuso, one of his roommates, who he identified as Jesus Valencia, was life flighted from Good Samaritan Hospital in Corvallis to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland.

2:30 p.m.

On the morning of Monday, May 22, Corvallis Police Department officers responded to the 400 block of NW 27th St. for a reported stabbing at a residence. The suspect is still unknown to investigators.

Of those injured in the incident, one is currently a student at Oregon State University, one is a former student of OSU who did not graduate from the university and two are not associated with the university, according to Steve Clark, the OSU vice president for university relations and marketing.

The university aims to provide assistance to the injured student as well as any university community members that feel affected by the stabbing, according to Clark.

“OSU will be reaching out to the injured student and to the families of that person to offer support,” Clark said. “We’ll also reach out to faculty, students and friends of those injured.”

According to Clark, OSU is working with the Corvallis Police Department to understand what the university can inform the university community after the family and relatives of those injured are notified.

“When matters such as these occur, we’re very mindful and our primary goal is to, first and foremost, provide a safe campus for our students, faculty, staff and guests,” Clark said.

11:45 a.m.

According to CPD, after arriving on scene, the officers learned that a male suspect had entered a residence and stabbed multiple victims before fleeing the residence on foot. Officers located the suspect near the Benton County Senior Center and were able to take him into custody. The suspect has not been identified at this time. However, he was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital for treatment after being arrested.

CPD also said that multiple victims were transported to Good Samaritan Hospital with serious injuries. Investigators are still on scene. The identities of the victims are unknown at this time as well. 

The Chintimini Senior Center & Community Center is closed at this time as well.

“ALERT: The Center is closed on Monday, May 22, due to a park emergency. All classes, activities, meetings, and rentals that were scheduled for today have been canceled,” the center’s website currently reads. “It is requested that patrons do not visit the area so that the work being done is not impeded. Thank you for your understanding, and our apologies for any inconvenience.”