Wiese wills Beavers to Civil War victory

Kalib LaChapelle, Multimedia Contributor

In the final Civil War game of her career, Sydney Wiese was not going to let her team lose.

“Eight and O.” said the senior guard.

The Beavers won their 13th straight Civil War games under head coach Scott Rueck on Sunday, a streak so long the oldest player on the court tonight was a sophomore in high school the last time University of Oregon got the better of Oregon State (20-2 9-1 Pac-12).

But this weekend’s games were the closest in recent memory, with both games being decided in the final seconds. Oregon State’s veteran players became the difference, as Oregon (14-8 4-6 Pac-12) had to play multiple freshmen in key moments.

“Oregon played us tough this weekend,” said Wiese. “They’re a talented team, but i’m thankful to say we were able to get two wins out of it.”

One thing that was a constant during the two games was Sydney Wiese’s performance. On friday the senior hit the go-ahead shot after erasing a five point deficit in the last minute. And on Sunday she scored 11 points in the final 90 seconds of the game to finish her Civil War career with an undefeated record.

“She has this fire and this ability to overcome and play big in those moments and just lives for them,” said Rueck. “It’s in her blood, it’s who she is.”

In that final minute of the game Sunday Rueck had only a few words to let Wiese know it was time for her to take over.

“Just shoot the ball. Get the ball and shoot the ball.”

Wiese has demonstrated throughout the season, especially in close games, why she has been considered as one of the top players in the country, and this weekend has given her another chance to show off her clutch gene, with two game winning shots less than 48 hours apart from each other.

“We live for these moments,” said Rueck. “We’ve been in lots of big moments and she’s hit lots of big shots.”

The front court of Oregon State has averaged a +11.1 rebounding margin this season, the fifth highest in the country. They continued their dominance on the glass out rebounding the Ducks 87-61 over the weekend. They were lead by junior forward Breanna Brown, junior center Marie Gulich, and senior forward Kolbie Orum who had 13, 10, 11 respectively as well as heavy contributions from multiple guards on the team that crashed the glass to get second chance points.

“We just wanted to do better (rebounding),” said Brown. “That was one of our main focuses in the post, grab the boards and don’t let them have any second chances.”

The games against Oregon were only the second time since conference play began that Oregon State did not play at least one ranked opponent in a week, but still the Beavers were challenged during both games of the weekend. The Pac-12 has a chance to send seven teams to the NCAA tournament, with five of them having a chance at securing a four seed or higher.

“I think this conference is absolutely the best in the country top to bottom,” said Rueck. “There’s not a night off.”