International Education Week wraps up

By Gabe Landstrom Orange Media Network
International Education Week, wrapping up this Friday, featured international food in all dining halls, as well as events spread out around campus open to students

Gabe Landstrom Multimedia Contributor

International Education Week is wrapping up this Friday and is open to all students interested in international experiences and food. IEW began Saturday, Nov. 12 and ends this Friday Nov. 18.  

IEW a joint initiative between the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

According to the IEW webage, it is an effort to “promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences in the United States.”

During each day of IEW, University Housing and Dining Services featured global foods at each of the dining centers. Despite the fact the lack of awareness of IEW, students were still applicative of the variety of food being celebrated at eh dining centers, such as international student Anna Snimshichikova.

“I really like how OSU dining halls represent different cultures I like that we have a big variety of food,”Snimshichikova said.

Other students seemed to have a similar appreciation for the diversity of food found on campus, but still have their favorite go to.

“I love how every week they have different selections for food,” said freshman Syed Lijal Shad form Pakistan.“I like the Nori Grill (in Arnold hall) cause you always know what you are going to get and over all the quality is really good.”

Other students, such as sophomore from Nepal Joshua Osujia, experience and enjoy international food and cuisine from other dining halls.

“I like the variety of food My favorite is the Global Fare,” Osujia said.

If students have missed IEW events throughout the beginning of the week, Friday will hold several events for them to participate in throughout campus.  At 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., the seminar Conversations with International Women Students at OSU will be held in the Memorial Union room 207. From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., UHDS dining centers will be celebrating global foods at each dining center. Then from 12 to 1:30 p.m., the Conversation Corners will be held at the International Living Learning Center on the first floor lobby. Last, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., the Stories of Inspiration Through Exploration seminar will be held at the MU multipurpose room.   

IEW has hosted over 200 programs and 70 different countries this week, for more information, visit the IEW webpage.