Beavers look to rally behind Marcus McMaryion

Autumn Pierce, Orange Media Network
OSU vs. Utah

Keenan Puncocher, Multimedia Contributor

After losing both first and second string quarterbacks to injury last Saturday against Utah, the Oregon State Beaver football team held practice for the first time with new starting quarterback, redshirt sophomore Marcus McMaryion.

If one was an outsider to Beaver football, Tuesday’s practice would have looked no differently than previous days. Player moral, confidence and attitudes looked the same as if the team were on a winning streak.

While most teams might have reservations about putting their third string quarterback onto the field against the 5th ranked team in the country, this is not the case for the Beavers. McMaryion has been in this position before, under more pressure and with less experience in last year’s civil war against rival Oregon.

Co-offensive coordinator Kevin McGiven talked about how his team is handling losing two quarterbacks as well as the chemistry of the team going forward with McMaryion.

“We’re seeing a lot of the team step up and rally behind Marcus,” McGiven said. “He has been in the moment before and knows how to handle to pressure. So far he has responded to the challenge very well, and I have complete confidence in McMaryion.”

Running back Ryan Nall who was again in a boot for his foot for precautionary reasons did not rule out playing this Saturday.

“I am a little frustrated since I am not 100 percent like I want to be, but we’re taking it day by day,” Nall said. “The team would like to have me for the season rather than a game or two. With it being a tweak, I might be back this week or next.”

Although Nall is doubtful for Saturday’s game against the Huskies, he made it clear that he has faith in his teammates with or without him on the field.

“(Washington) is going to feel all of Tim (Cook) this weekend. He has had a few opportunities so far this year, but his time to shine will be this weekend,” Nall said. Our advantage is bringing our physicality and toughness to the game. They’re (Washington) is ranked number five in the country. We don’t care because we’re going to matchup toe to toe with them.”

During the Beavers 11-on-11 practice time, McMaryion was able to throw a perfect, completed deep pass to junior wide receiver Timmy Hernandez. This is a sight that through the first six games was something of a rarity under the offense.

When asked about handling the newfound pressures and expectations at the quarterback position, McMaryion stressed keeping emotions under wrap.

“It is easy for everyone to think it is a roller coaster of emotions right now, but my focus is to stay calm and show the team in every way, shape and form that we can be competitive on Saturday,” McMaryion said.

So far this season, a major focus for this football team is trying to play as a complete, family unit. Looking ahead to the Huskies on Saturday, this could not be more important with McMaryion as starting quarterback and Ryan Nall listed as doubtful.

“We have so many playmakers on this team, which takes a load off of my shoulders,” said McMaryion. “My role is to able to manage this team and get them the ball.”