Oregon State achieves overtime victory in thriller against Cal

Keenan Puncocher, Multimedia Contributor

A walk off quarterback run in overtime by Darell Garretson sealed an explosive victory for the Oregon State Beavers on Saturday night. Winning their first game against a Pac-12 opponent in thirteen games, with a score of 47-44.

With a total of 474 rushing yards against the Bears (3-3, 1-2 Pac-12), the Beavers (2-3, 1-1) were on a mission, hungry for a victory in Reser Stadium in front of the hometown crowd.

Sophomore running back Ryan Nall ran for a total of 221 yards and 3 TDs in the game and averaged an astonishing 15.8 yards per carry. After the game, Nall, spoke to his performance during the game as well as the work of his teammates.

“Our game plan from the start was to run the ball at this team which we knew we could do,” said Nall. “It was the work of our entire (offensive line) as well as the offensive players and coaching staff. I was able to play off of everyone’s energy and use it.”

Coming into this game, the Oregon State defense was tasked with holding in check the nation’s leading quarterback, Davis Webb. Averaging 430 yards a game, Webb was held to a season low 113 yards.

Equally as challenging was stopping wide receiver Chad Hansen, who lead the Pac-12 in receiving yards. With a combined total of 738 yards heading into the game, Hansen was held to a season low 4 receptions for only sixteen yards.

Senior cornerback Treston Decoud, was able to effectively shut down Hansen. Following the game, an emotional Decoud talked about how he was able to have success and what it meant for him.

“He thinks he is the best player, and I think I am the best, so it was a great matchup, and the team is happy to come away on top,” Decoud said.

Team unity and togetherness were a consistent theme for the Beavers in this win and that was a clear focus for Decoud as he fought back tears of joy.

“It was our complete game,” said Decoud. “From offense, defense and special teams, we played a complete game. We believe in this team. Honestly, I am lost for words it feels so good.”

Head coach Gary Andersen expressed happiness and relief for both the fans and the team as a whole following the game.

“This win is awesome for these kids. They have been through a lot as we know, they battled, fought and never gave up,” Anderson said. “They deserve this win and so do the fans who have been there to support us.”.

The Beavers now have increased momentum looking ahead to next week when they face off against Utah. Coach Anderson made it clear that he thought his team played a complete game from start to finish.

“We talked all week about how it needed to be a team effort. We need to understand that this is what we are supposed to do to win football games,” Anderson said. “This was a special moment and I will never forget it. It is a great day to be a Beaver.”