Beyond the Box: Washington

Josh Worden, Senior Beat Reporter

The Oregon State football team (2-5, 1-3 Pac-12) lost 41-17 to No. 5 Washington on Saturday. OSU was down to its third-string quarterback (Marcus McMaryion) and third-string running back (Tim Cook) but still covered the 36.5-point spread. Here are the statistics from Saturday’scontest that may not appear in the average box score.

With several injured players missing Saturday’s game, OSU was without players who had accounted for 74 percent of the team’s total rushing yards and 91 percent of the team’s total passing yards.

After Washington took a 21-0 lead in the first quarter — which gave the Huskies a cumulative 100-7 advantage in first quarters this season — the Beavers were only outscored 20-17 the rest of the game.

OSU did not have a passing touchdown this season, the sixth consecutive game the starting quarterback did not throw a touchdown. OSU has recorded just four scores through the air this year.

Running back Tim Cook had 22 rushing yards coming into the Washington game but posted 108 yards and his first rushing touchdown against the Huskies. He had three runs of more than 10 yards, all coming on the same drive.

There are 14 players in the Pac-12 who have more touchdown passes than the entire OSU team. Washington’s Jake Browning has 26 passing touchdowns of his own.

Both Victor Bolden and Jordan Villamin had their highest receiving yardage outputs of the season with 58 and 41 yards, receiving. Bolden extended his streak to 31 straight games with at least one catch.

With 177 rush yards and 148 pass yards as a team on Saturday, OSU had more rushing yards than passing for the fourth consecutive game and fifth time this season.

OSU had six passing plays of more than 15 yards on Saturday; the Beavers did not have any such plays in the previous two games.

After going 8-for-12 on third down conversions in the win over California two weeks ago, the Beavers went 7-for-29 in the next two losses.

The Beavers haven’t held a lead in the last two games. Of the 240 regulation minutes in four Pac-12 games, OSU has led for 54:43 with the Cal game accounted for 52:37 of that time.

With his 46 kickoff return yards on Saturday, senior wide receiver Victor Bolden currently has 2,146 kickoff return yards in his career, which is just 14 yards shy of the career record set by Ray Taroli (1971-1974). Bolden already has the single season record from his freshman year in 2013 with 1,198 yards.

OSU hasn’t allowed any opposing quarterback to record a completion percentage above 53 percent in the last three games, including Jake Browning, who came into the game leading the NCAA at 72.2 percent.

Oregon State had 63 players available for the game, seven fewer than allowed for a visiting team per Pac-12 regulations.

OSU has attempted 38 field goals in Reser Stadium since 2014 and only 13 field goals away from Corvallis in that same span. OSU kicker Garrett Owens went 1-for-2 on Saturday.

OSU’s only takeaway of the game was on an onside kick in the fourth quarter — which technically counted as a fumble because Washington touched it before the ball traveled 10 yards downfield — but the Huskies got the ball back on the next play by an interception. On Washington’s five turnovers this year, the Huskies have gotten a takeaway on the ensuing drive four times.

The Huskies entered the game leading the conference with 24 sacks on the season (4.0 per game) but only tied OSU in sacks with one apiece.

After a 3-0 adverting in points off turnovers this season, Washington leads opponents in that category 62-0.

This season and last, OSU is a combined 14-for-14 on third-and-one conversions.

On Twitter @BrightTies