KidSpirit takes over the OSU campus during the summer

Claire Wilding, Multimedia Contributor

While many college students flock home during the summer term, kids from kindergarten through eighth grade get to take on the Oregon State University campus at the KidSpirit Summer Day Camp. Around 400 campers gather each week enhancing the atmosphere here at OSU.

If you can’t see the kids running through campus, you’ll probably be able to hear them singing and chanting their camp songs.

“KidSpirit is our famous summer camp, where you can hear us all around campus singing and having fun,” said Emily Azorr one of the KidSpirit camp leaders.

KidSpirit has been at OSU since 1961 and provides a fun and healthy learning environment all summer long. The youth programs offered at KidSpirit include archery, cooking, gymnastics.

During the school year when the Corvallis School District has days off of school, KidSpirit offers “ACES” which gives children a safe place to learn and have fun while parents may have to work.

“The ACES days are like a mini-summer camp for the day off of school,” Azor said.

The activities done during the ACES days off of school are similar to during the activities during the summer camp.

While KidSpirit is a great way for kids to express their interests in various arts and crafts, it also gives college students employment opportunities. Azorr describes KidSpirit as,

“A positive youth development program that focuses on staff, who are all students and their professional development.”

All of the camp leaders and instructors are OSU students and come from different majors and possess skills that help the campers have fun while learning.  

Azzor also mentions that KidSpirit hosts birthday parties. During the birthday events, KidSpirit provides activities for all attending.