Baseball swept by Arizona

The Oregon State baseball team was swept by the Arizona Wildcats over the weekend, after only managing to score a total of two runs in the first two games then blowing a three-run lead in the final game series

In Game 1 of the series on Friday the Beavers got out to an early in the first inning. A triple from Freshman second baseman Nick Madrigal extended his hitting streak to 13 games with a triple in the first inning, then was brought home on a groundout from junior catcher Logan Ice.

That would be the only run the Beavers would score the remaining of the game, as Arizona’s Nathan Bannister went the distance allowing five hits and striking out nine in the complete game effort.

Travis Eckert kept the Wildcats’ bats quite through the first three innings, but ran into trouble in the fourth inning. A pair of singles to open the inning set the stage for Arizona’s senior first baseman Ryan Aguilar who roped a triple to center field to give the Wildcats a 2-1.

Arizona added two more runs in the seventh and one in the ninth to earn a 6-1 victory to open the series.

On Saturday the Beavers outhit the Wildcats, getting eight hits to the Wildcat’s five. But the hits did not equate to runs, and the Beavers did not score until the ninth inning–falling 4-1.

After scoring 2 runs in the previous 18 innings of the series, the offense broke out for four runs in the third inning. Both sophomore left fielder Christian Donahue and sophomore first baseman KJ Harrison drove in two runs to give the Beavers the 4-1 lead.

Ice then added another run in the sixth inning with his team-leading seventh home run of the season. That pushed the Beavers lead to 5-2.

The seventh inning is when things fell apart for OSU. Freshman right-hander Bryce Fehmel issued a walk to start the inning, then followed that up with a consecutive single to Arizona batters that scored a run. Fehmel–who 4 1/3 innings of relief after junior starter Jake Thompson only lasted two innings– was then pulled.

Junior Max Engelbrekt came into a bases-loaded jam, but then gave up the winning run on a single up the middle from junior third basemen Kyle Lewis. The Beavers were able to get a runner at second with one out in the eighth inning, but could not bring the tying run home.

The Beavers will play the University of Portland on Tuesday at Volcano Stadium Stadium in Keizer, before hosting Oregon in the Civil War starting Friday.