Update: Preliminary hearings set for two suspects in bias crime assault case; third suspect scheduled for trial

Ashton Bisner

A 7-Eleven store on 746 NW Kings Blvd. in Corvallis, Ore. Last October, three men were allegedly involved in a bias crime assault outside the convenience store; two suspects are set for preliminary hearings next month and the third set for trial in January 2023.

Sukhjot Sal, News Reporter

Preliminary hearings have been set for Aug. 23 for Kyle Rackley and Riley Westbrooks, two of the three suspects allegedly involved in a bias crime assault at a 7-Eleven in Corvallis, Ore. last October. 

After hearing testimony from the prosecution, if the court believes there is probable cause that the two defendants committed felonies and indicts them, then a trial will be scheduled.

Dylan Guido and his attorney Gillian Wickersham will appear for a status check hearing on July 26 at 8:30 a.m. Guido’s trial has already been set for Jan. 23 at 9:30 a.m. with a 12-person jury, more than a year after the alleged assault occurred.

The defense and prosecution have been collecting and reviewing evidence since October 2021. 

In the alleged assault, defendants Guido, Rackley and Westbrooks reportedly used homophobic and transphobic slurs against an employee at the 7-Eleven on 746 NW Kings Blvd. and were arrested by the Corvallis Police Department on Nov. 4 and arraigned the next day. 

Guido and Westbrooks were both arrested on one charge of bias crime in the first degree and assault in the third degree, while Rackley was arrested on one charge of assault in the third degree. Steve Clark, Oregon State University’s vice president of University Relations and Marketing, confirmed in November that Guido was an OSU student until May 2020.

This story is ongoing and updates will be provided on our website when information becomes available.