Marigold Center for contemplative practice opens in downtown Corvallis

Morgan Barnaby

Being an undergraduate student involves lots of dedication, homework and balancing work and social lives. It can be stressful, there is no doubt about that.

The Contemplative Studies Initiative at Oregon State University is one of many resources that students can turn to in order to find a way to center themselves in their stressful lives. The CSI team worked through the summer to open a new studio space dedicated to contemplative practice.

“It’s truly remarkable to walk into Marigold and instantly feel the embrace of community, without even knowing anybody,” said Jazlee Crowley, a second-year Ph.D. student studying integrative biology. 

The center is a fresh and bright space that is not only a place for the community to relax, but also to connect.

“Right when you enter you are greeted with the smiling faces of people who are at ease,” Crowley said. “One enters Marigold to join that sense of peace.” 

The Marigold OSU Center of Contemplative Studies, located at 648 SW Second St., opened in early October to the general public. 

“The Contemplative Studies Initiative essentially supports the research and practice of contemplative studies,” said Elizabeth Nguyen, a collaborative assistant on the contemplative studies team and philosophy student at OSU.

The practice ties in spirituality while teaching meditation and other mental practices, but also incorporates physical components. 

“It’s pretty closely aligned with the (OSU) School of History, Philosophy and Religion as well,” said Nguyen. 

The Marigold Center was pushed by Kate Gallagher so that community members could have a place to practice according to Nguyen.

Nguyen said that the Marigold Center is a way to help students find a place outside of campus that they are able to relax and connect to their spirituality. 

“People who aren’t super comfortable with class sizes (at OSU) could take classes at the contemplative center, and also build some community and connection with people around them,” Nguyen said.

Community members, OSU students and faculty can all attend classes at the Marigold Center. The registration for classes can be found on their website

Students are already coming back with positive feedback about the center. They are appreciative of how inclusive and welcoming it is, and they enjoy having a place to practice and relax. 

“The Marigold Center has been a fun and welcoming place,” said Georgette Grodonski, a fourth-year psychology major. “I really enjoy meditating, dancing and doing yoga there.”

Everyone is welcome at the center, and those interested do not need experience to attend many of the classes according to their class descriptions

Scholarships are available for OSU students who may not be able to afford a class. Nguyen said that the Marigold Center is working on marketing towards students right now, who can also receive a discount on classes that they attend.

The classes offered at the Marigold Center are gentle yoga, flow yoga, guided meditation, sacred rest, contemplative dance, quiet meditation and Tibetan Buddhist sādhanā practice.