Holiday drivers should watch for icy conditions, snow on passes

Sam Nicklous
In a photo illustration, fourth-year new media communications Major Allen Bernard checks the travel distance from Corvallis to his hometown of Lubbock, Texas on Aug. 28. Travelers driving home for the Thanksgiving holiday should be prepared for icy conditions.

If you plan on driving over Highway 58 at Willamette Pass this week, remember to bring your chains, because snow may be coming.

This Thanksgiving break, students driving to and from Corvallis should be on the lookout for icy roads, but weather isn’t expected to affect rail or air travel.

Students driving back to campus after a filling Thanksgiving back at home are warned to drive carefully through Highway 58 at Willamette Pass, as snow is expected to fall there between now and Thanksgiving, according to the National Weather Service website.

According to the NWS, snow will likely impact higher elevations in the Cascades with high confidence of snow at elevations above 5,000 feet. NWS warned drivers going through those areas to drive with caution, as minor impacts are expected.

Other than cold winds and some rain, everything below mountain level looks clear, so flights leaving Portland and Eugene are not expected to experience any weather delays for students flying.

Seats for Amtrak heading to the Portland area are totally booked from Wednesday to Sunday, according to their website. A few tickets are available heading south, with prices starting at $65.

Flixbus has a minimal amount of tickets heading to Portland, with remaining tickets leaving at 4 p.m, according to their website. Northbound tickets start at $62. There are more seats available heading south to California, with prices around $200.