C3 GameCon returns to Corvallis Community Center

Morgan Barnaby
An OSU student plays a tabletop game in Corvallis, OR on Jan 31, 2024.

C3 GameCon, the premier tabletop gaming convention in the mid-valley, is set to return to the Corvallis Community Center for its third year on Feb. 16 and 17.

The event will host a vendor hall, facilitated games, industry panels, a cosplay contest and open gameplay spaces, according to Zachary Johnson, recreation coordinator for Corvallis Community Center.

This year, there was increased promotion of the event through various channels, including printed guides, social media and cross-promotion. “These efforts help expand our reach and ensure more people know about (the event),” Johnson said.

Carl Lucker, senior administrative specialist at the Corvallis Community Center, said, “I wasn’t able to attend the first iteration of Game Con in 2022, but the event has definitely expanded since then. Our first year, we had a little over 500 participants. Last year we hosted around 1,000, and we’re expecting an even bigger event this year. To accommodate, we’ve added more game times and more space for open gameplay.”

Lucker added that the community center’s many conference rooms lend itself to events like GameCon. There will be a vendor hall in the Chandler Ballroom, panel discussions in the Alder Room and games running in multiple conference rooms.

The comfort and safety of attendees is of critical importance for the event’s organizers. 

“Comfort and safety is a top priority for us. Facilities are designed to accommodate individuals with diverse needs. Staff and volunteers will be stationed throughout the venue to monitor key areas. Clear and visible signage is strategically placed, as well as first aid stations and emergency evacuation routes,” Lucker said.

Lucker also noted the impact of C3 GameCon on the local community. 

“I’ve noticed that the tabletop gaming scene has been growing in recent years and especially in Corvallis. In many circles, Corvallis is actually considered a hub for tabletop gaming. That’s vividly demonstrated by the number of new and growing gaming businesses in town,” Lucker said.

Looking forward, Johnson hopes the event will introduce people to a broader range of community activities.“I think one of the big positives of this event is just the community that it creates,”  he said.