Corvallis shelters offer transitional housing to more permanent spaces

PJ Royland
Building of the Corvallis Daytime Drop-In Center on Feb. 14, 2024. A non-profit organization that serves as a resource and navigation center for those in need. Located at 530 SW Fourth St, Corvallis, OR 97333.

It is a scary thought––having no roof over your head or food on your plate. It is a position no one would like to be in but a reality many face in Corvallis.

There are many reasons one may need to find housing or other resources in town and plenty of accessible shelters and organizations available to those needing support. 

Corvallis Housing First, located at 2311 NW Van Buren Ave., is an organization that’s dedicated to providing housing and other forms of support to those who need it in the community. On their website it states that there are no barriers for entry such as sobriety or participation in treatment services. 

Lindsey Stallard, development coordinator for CHF, said the organization works towards getting permanent housing for those who need shelter. 

We move people into permanent housing (whether that’s CHF owned housing, or off site apartment rentals) and offer case management services,” Stallard said in an email interview. 

Stallard also mentioned that they work closely with Unity Shelter in order to get shelter clients into more permanent housing.

Unity Shelter, located on 4515 SW West Hills Road, has programs that all have the mission of providing emergency shelter and transitional housing for individuals. This includes The Men’s Shelter, SafePlace, Room at the Inn and Third Street Commons. 

On their website they have a report that was commissioned by the League of Women Voters of Corvallis. 

Oregon was among the top states experiencing houselessness with 38 people per 10,000 experiencing some form of houselessness and 63.9% being unable to find shelter. There is also a noted increase on a graph presented from 2012 to 2019 of homeless individuals who reported street, camp or bridge residence. 

Shawn Collins, director of Unity Shelter provided some population information as far as the different shelters under Unity. 

The Men’s Shelter serves male individuals and there are 50 beds available. Room at the Inn serves females over 18 and there are 44 beds and work being done to increase that to 50. Third Street Commons serves adults as individuals or couples and has 25 beds and some are used for medical recovery rooms. 

The types of individuals at the shelters differ and it can be a complex answer, Collins mentioned, but the one similarity in those who approach these shelters is that they are all experiencing homelessness. 

“That may be a recent thing, or it may be a long-term chronic condition.  In the past year we have served people ranging from (ages) 18 to 82, with all kinds of backgrounds and history,” Collins said. 

Collins also adds that since the beginning of the pandemic, the shelters have seen increases and increases of the amounts of homeless families. 

Another available resource is The Corvallis Daytime Drop-In Center, located at 530 SW 4th St. The drop-in center has walk-up hours from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday and social services by appointment from noon to 2 p.m. on Monday through Friday.

Allison Hopgood, executive director at CDDC, mentioned how it is not an overnight shelter but a day resources and navigation center. CDDC’s website states that the CDDC provides information, referrals and direct services. 

Unity Shelter’s website has a list of community partners who offer services, including Let’s Eat, an event hosted by the Corvallis Evangelical Church that serves free dinners on Wednesday evenings, and Community Outreach, an organization which provides basic human needs and counseling. 

There is a wide range of backgrounds but there is help and services for everyone regardless. 

Everyone we serve has experienced at least the trauma of poverty and homelessness – but many also have extensive histories of trauma and abuse in their lives, from childhood on.  BIPOC and LGBTQ+ members of the community are over-represented in shelter – they frequently experience homelessness at a higher rate,” Collins said.