Beaver Baseball shuts out Gonzaga

Second Baseman Travis Bazzana (#37) rounds first base after a hit to the outfield in OSU’s game against CSun on Mar. 9 at Goss Stadium in Corvallis.
Morgan Barnaby

Beaver Baseball hosted Gonzaga University in Goss Stadium on a Monday night in a classic shut-out performance beating them 14-0.

The Beavers were coming off a loss from a visit to University of Southern California and a dominant Trojans team.

To come back, the Beavers pitching room had 13 strikeouts.

“Looking on the bright side of things and regrouping and knowing that we’re good and that we’re gonna make a far run. Getting back in that mental game and being confident in what we do,” freshman pitcher Eric Segura said. “I’m really glad we did today and we just hope to continue with that and keep producing good strikeouts.”

The Beaver offense showed why they are ranked No. 5 and held a strong batting stance producing runs in every inning from the third to the eighth, apart from a silent seventh inning for both teams.

In the sixth inning, there were back-to-back doubles by sophomore Dallas Macias and junior Elijah Hainline and a home run from sophomore Tyce Peterson, his third of the season.

“It looked to me like Tyce (Peterson), in particular, took a breath, exhaled, and was ready to go out and compete and didn’t let his first at-bat feed into the second or third and so on,” Head Coach Mitch Canham said.

Towards the end, junior Travis Bazzana hit a home run late in the eighth inning that went 452 feet at 109 miles per hour sending the remaining crowd into a frenzy of cheers.

The back of the Beavers’ lineup shined tonight with sophomore Canon Reeder, Hainline and Peterson getting two RBI each.

“Canon (Reeder) did a good job of starting off the inning with a walk and then stealing a bag , and then finding a way to score a run,” Canham said. “It’s one of the most valuable things we have as baseball players is finding a way to touch home plate and the more times you do that, the more you’re going to play.”

“You just gotta trust the process, stay ready at all times. You never know when your name is going to be called and when it’s going to be called you gotta do your best to get the job done,” Reeder said.

Up next, the Beavers face Gonzaga University at home in Goss Stadium on Tuesday at 6 p.m.