Clarifying contraceptive care

The Birds and the Beavs is a weekly column answering your questions on the topics of sexual health, consent, and relationships, written by the Oregon State University Sexual Health Team.

Today’s topic is on Oregon Contraceptive Care, also known as CCARE. CCARE is a program that is funded by the Centers for Medicaid Services and the Oregon State Department of Human Services through a grant. This allows Student Health Services to provide reproductive health care and contraceptive services to anyone who meets a certain income criteria.  

You can find CCARE on the first floor in Rm. 110C. They are open Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. or you can call for an appointment at 541-737-9140. The enrollment process takes less than 10 minutes, during which time you fill out a form and schedule an appointment with a clinician. For more information you can also go to their website here.

Q: I heard CCARE is only for women. Is that true?

CCARE is a service that is open to all that qualify. Any student can apply for CCARE if they are looking for contraceptive management which include hormonal contraceptives (like the bill) or the condom. If you qualify, you will not be billed for contraceptive management services. Eligibility requirements include 1) be a U.S. citizen or have eligible immigration status with a monthly income of $2,475 or less for one person or $3,338 for a couple. You cannot be currently enrolled in the Oregon Health Plan to use CCARE.

Q: What services will CCARE provide?

CCare will pay for contraceptive management office visits including birth control consultations, initiation and follow-up care, a yearly exam, and emergency contraception. All these services can be conveniently done at Student Health Services!

Q: What are available methods of birth control?

CCARE is a really awesome program that provides a ton of different birth control methods. These include: oral contraceptives, emergency contraceptive (Plan B), the ring, the patch, Depo Provera (hormonal injection), Intrauterine system (IUS) (Mirena, Skyla, Kyleena), IUD (Paraguard), Hormonal implant (Nexplanon), External and receptive condoms, diaphragm, and spermicides!

Q: What if I already have insurance, but don’t want my partner or parents to know?

Students who have insurance that covers contraceptive management can still be eligible for the program if they meet the other criteria. CCARE will bill your insurance provider and then CCare as a secondary. You will not be charged. However, if you are insured under your parents’ plan you may request special confidentiality. In this case no insurance billing will go out and CCare will cover all charges.

Q: What does CCARE not cover?

CCARE does not provide treatment for bladder or urinary tract infections, prenatal care, pregnancy confirmation, or STI testing and treatment. If you are concerned about any of these issues, you can still make an appointment to talk to a clinician; however, you or your insurance will be billed for any labs or prescriptions.