The chicken is out of the egg: OSU extension service’s 11th annual livestream shows off egg hatch

Rida Kauser

For the 11th year in a row all eyes are on the chicken eggs hatching today in Clatsop County, Oregon thanks to Oregon State University’s Extension Service live stream.

The live stream from the Extension office in Astoria, Oregon will show the chicken eggs in the incubator before and during the hatch. The camera will then rotate once the eggs have hatched to the brooding pen where the chicks will grow before finding a home with an Extension 4-H member. The public could see these chicks again, as the new chick parents are expected to care for them and show them during country and state fairs later in the year.  

“I think sometimes we don’t know where animals come from so I think this is a pretty easy way to show people what is going on,” said Julie Scism, 4-H program assistant with OSU Extension in Clatsop County. 

Scism said the live stream is there for anyone who wants to watch the life cycle of a chick and is a fun springtime activity. 

According to Scism, a curriculum, kit of supplies and eggs loaded into incubators, like those shown on the livestream, are given to local elementary schools every year to watch chicks hatch right there in their classroom. 

The program is free for the classrooms who choose to be involved through Extension in the hopes of exciting children about being involved with animals in the future. 

According to Scism, the eggs for both the elementary schools and livestream are provided by the chickens of local 4-H and Extension members.

Those hoping to observe the lifecycle of a chick can access the livestream now through March 21 here.