No. 3 OSU defeats No. 2 Stanford in front of a record-setting sellout crowd

Heimlich’s 14 strikeout performance sets career high

Munir Zarea, Sports Contributor

OSU Pitcher Luke Heimlich’s career high 14 strikeout performance helps lift Beavers to victory

In front of a record-setting sold out crowd, No. 3 Oregon State University defeated No. 2 Stanford 6-2 in the first game of a three game series.

In the first inning, the Beavers racked up some quick runs. First of which came from sophomore catcher Adley Rutschman, who singled up the middle for an RBI. Then senior infielder Michael Gretler doubled to left center for a two-run RBI.

“I think we expect to put up runs every game, maybe not there in the first inning,” Gretler said. “Anytime we can get Luke (senior pitcher, Luke Heimlich) a lead, we like our chances.”

While Stanford was scoreless through two innings, the Beavers took advantage to advance their lead.

Senior outfielder Kyle Nobach, hit a fly ball to left field wall for a double. Junior outfielder Steven followed with a sacrifice fly ball, allowing Nobach to run home.

Two innings went by with no runs, and the Beavers leading 4-2. Cardinal sophomore pitcher Will Matthiessen stepped up for Stanford and hit a two-run home run.

The Beavers then looked to widen the gap even more when Junior outfielder, Trevor Larnach hit a line drive to right field for a two-run RBI to bring the final score to 6-2.

Senior pitcher Luke Heimlich snatched up a career-high 14 strikeouts in a single game.

“I felt good. I was on normal rest this week coming off WSU. My pitch count wasn’t as high last week so it felt really good coming into this week,” Heimlich said.

With the energy of the crowd tonight, many players, including Heimlich, felt that it’s a huge boost to their confidence.

“It’s a lot of fun having them behind us. It’s a big energy boost for everybody. It’s our job to get the fans involved and make things interesting and we were able to do that and keep the energy up all game.”

Heimlich’s performance was highlighted by Beavers head coach, Pat Casey.

“I really thought he (Heimlich) only made one or two mistakes all day long. He kept the ball down and he was outstanding,” Casey said. “I know he’s been real good lately. He just keeps getting better and better. I think the confidence level jumped.”

The series continues for game two on Saturday at 2 p.m. PT.