Best of: Male Student Athlete

Junior running back Ryan Nall completes a pass during the 2017 Civil War at Autzen Stadium in Eugene. Nall will forego his senior year to enter the NFL draft.

Gunnar Boag, Sports Contributor

Ryan Nall

Junior running back Ryan Nall was voted as the “Best Student Athlete” by students at Oregon State University.

Nall, who is majoring in speech communication, plans on foregoing his senior year for the NFL Draft. Throughout his career at OSU he amassed 28 touchdowns and multiple academic honors.

Ryan Nall joined the OSU football team in 2014 out of Central Catholic High School in Portland, Oregon. It was there that he rushed for 22 touchdowns and earned 6A Offensive Player of the Year.

Nall would find his first significant playing time in 2015 after the Gary Andersen head coaching change. He entered the season as a tight end or H-back, but was moved to running back as the season progressed. He finished the season with 455 rushing yards and three touchdowns, along with a Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention Award.

2016 gave Nall a significant increase in reps, as he totaled 951 yards on the ground and added 214 receiving yards—while missing two games. He would finish the season with 15 touchdowns. These statistics earned him Pac-12 All-Conference Honorable Mention and Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention.

In his junior year, Nall added 1,050 total yards and ten touchdowns to his resume.

Nall finished his career with 2,216 rushing yards; he is the only player in OSU history to have three rushes of 75-yards or more. His 24 rushing touchdowns are good for seventh place in school history.

He added a Pac-12 All-Academic Second Team nomination and a CoSIDA Academic All-District 8 honors nomination as well in 2017. Athletes must have a 3.30 GPA or better to qualify for the award.

Nall became a favorite amongst the Beaver faithful, with an eruptive performance against Oregon in 2015, as well as helping the Beaver’s earn their first Pac-12 win in the Andersen era against California in 2016. 

Ryan Nall finishes his career at OSU as the eighth leading rusher in school history.