Dam Jam 2017

The Baro Staff

Aminé, Marc E. Bassy, Smallpools, GRIM play at annual OSU concert

Big, white tents, food carts and a stage equipped with speakers loud enough for thousands of people to hear graced the Memorial Union Quad. People lined the sidewalk from the MU Quad to the Student Experience Center Plaza, where tickets were still being sold for the annual event: DAM JAM.

On Saturday, June 3 at 6 p.m., OSU hosted DAM JAM, a concert open to students and community members. Prior to the event, nonstudent tickets were sold out, according to the event Facebook page. However, student tickets were still available for purchase, according to Zach Simmons, a music and concerts coordinator for the OSU Program Council. Although the exact total attendance of the event is unknown, around 7,000 plus students and nonstudents attended.

During the event, four musical artists performed: Marc E. Bassy, Smallpools, GRIM and headliner Aminé.

“We LOVED Aminé coming. He put on a great show and we were super excited he played new music,” Simmons said in a Facebook message. “We also were super happy the students loved Marc E. Bassy and Smallpools and GRIM performances as well!”

According to Simmons, many differences between this year’s DAM JAM compared to previous years were present. Such differences included the artist lineup, overall event rules and the infrastructure of the event.

“Even amongst all these changes, the student body responded really well to the event and thousands of students had a blast,” Simmons said via email.

Also during the event, an attendee, Kai Lewers, was invited on stage under the rouse of being a contest winner. Lewers’ girlfriend, Kelsey Visser, joined him on stage. Lewers took the microphone, revealing to Visser that he hadn’t actually won anything, and knelt down on one knee. Lewers then proposed to Visser, who immediately said, “Yes.”

At approximately 10:30 p.m., DAM JAM came to an end as Aminé closed his set and the crowd dispersed.